Wednesday, August 21, 2013

[Birthday Bash] Watercoloring Party

[2013.08.21 Edited - I made a boo boo in Vera's description. It's fixed now]

Hello Neat & Tangled fans! Woah - it's Day 21. And it's my little brother's birthday today. Awww, but you're not here to hear me get all gushy on him ;) Remember we have a bunch of challenges closing soon, including the Party Favors one on August 24. You're giving the two gals who entered this competition an easy stab at the $5 gift certificate ;)

Eat Cake Challenge #19 Hints

Ready for another off-the-wall idea? These would make some awesome cake sides, the scalloped, the chevrons, even the little tangles.

You see it, don't you? If not, turn that head 90 degrees and hold it there... ;)

So our mystery guest is a dear talented friend of mine Vera. I met Vera pretty randomly at a CHA event. When I attended I was still pretty new in the carding world, and if I knew how awesome she was, I'd be more star struck. But I was pretty naive then. Vera is an accomplished publisher, made it to the Top 5 of Gallery Idol 2012, is Stamping Royalty, and is one the kindest persons I know. She runs a Caring Hearts Card Drive and it has an overwhelming response every year. I'm one of those lucky recipients that takes a box of cards to the Assisted Living Home near by and they love it every year. It's by pure coincidence that I asked to guest design and she just placed an order of her first Neat & Tangled stamps and received them. It was meant to be, don't you think? Vera, take it away...


Hi everyone. Vera’s here from Ling’s Design Studio. First of all, I want to thank Ren-Yi for the invitation to help Neat & Tangled celebrate their birthday. I am delighted to be here.
When I got the invite, I literally just got my first two Neat & Tangled sets the day before, so the timing was perfect.
I was debating what kind of card to make and decided that since I’ve been enjoying playing with watercolor lately that for my cards I decided to go that same route.



This card is so much fun to make. I first stamped the circle and heat embossed the circle and then drop watercolor randomly and using a straw to blow the color. With this method you’ll never know what kind of pattern you’ll get. That’s the fun part, right? I do 2 to 3 colors at first and then let the watercolour dry that way the color doesn’t get mix up too much and get muddy. I added some sequins to finish the card.

I was going to do a matching tag to the card, but ended up adding the tag to a card. Again for the tag I sued the same method as the first card and then add it to a color cardstock that’s been stamped with the circle border. I think these 2 cards totally will get you in party mood. What do you think? I hope you like the cards and to Neat & Tangled happy 1st birthday and wish you many success.
Oh, Vera, this is stunning! I have no words... your watercoloring is perfection. You made the Party Dots really the center of a fun bubbly party. You really hit a home run with these. What do you gals think about this?

It's been too quiet on the blog and I think it's time for another challenge. We have seen already 21 days of inspiration on the blog. So I know there are at least 20 days of creativity show cased. I also asked you about your favorite techniques. Some of you mentioned heat embossing and paper piecing. So what do I want you to see?

Technique Challenge
  • Create any card (or project) with a technique
  • Describe your technique
  • Grab our Birthday Bash Banner so that we can spot you easily
  • Link up your post below
  • The link is open until Sept 4, 11:55p Eastern Time; yep I am giving you 2 weeks to come up with some wonderful
  • The Little Tangles Prize is one Guest Design spot with The Little Tangles
  • The Design Team will vote on their favorites

Some hot trends right now are: water coloring, faux blackboard, washi

Do you want to have a chance to play with these stamps or all the stamps for that matter? Don't forget you can win it all by commenting across our LT 19 Challenge Blog Hop.




Challenge Reminders
Challenge #19 Eat Cake - ends Sept 1; free stamp set
Project Life Challenge - ends Aug 28; $5 gift certificate
Party Favor Challenge - ends Aug 24; $5 gift certificate

That's all for today. We have a few more inspirations coming along to answer some of your questions, and we will provide sneak peeks for the next Little Tangles release last week of August! Ta for now.

7 comments:

  1. Another fabulous celebration post! Cake decorations on the stamp set: yes, definitely! Vera's cards are amazing: artsy, eye-catching and such a clever technique. And the new challenge: excited to see what people share; I'm open to learning new techniques of all kinds! I'm going to play for sure (basic though my skills are)!! Have an excellent Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, love Vera's stuff and these are no exception! Fab-u-lous!

    Ren-Yi you are totally rocking the house with this month long celebration and your fun comments crack me up! I get the turn it 90 degrees thing!- ha! :) Happy birthday to your Brother too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ! I love water coloring and stamping mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the ideas!! Vera's watercolor idea looks so fun. will have to try it some time! ~hugs, Saundra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards Vera! I will most definitely have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vera, You did a fantastic job on these beautiful watercolor birthday cards. I have never tried this technique, but now I am going to try my hand at it! Thanks for the inspiration! *Hugs* ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome techniques! I love how they look. I will have to be giving these a try...Thank You!
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete